Standards implementation requires new thinking about how assessment can be used to support student growth. The current standards require students to engage in content, disciplinary literacy practices and inquiry. One of they key questions when building curriculum based on the standards is “how will we give students and stakeholders meaningful feedback that goes beyond measuring, but enhances learning?” In this interactive workshop, educators will engage with resources, tools, templates and strategies to create rubrics for performance assessment tasks in civics. Participants are encouraged to bring a performance based assessment task for peer review and use for rubric design. The workshop is based on The Center for Standards and Assessment Implementation Assessment Design Toolkit. It can be accessed via the following link: https://www.csai-online.org/spotlight/assessment-design-toolkit
• Review the key elements of performance assessments.
• Examine research concerning best practices in creating rubrics.
• Learn how to create rubrics for performance assessments based on the Illinois Social Science Standards.
• Work collaboratively to create rubrics for performance assessment tasks in civics.
• Identify resources to support development of rubrics for performance assessment tasks in civics.